The London Police Services Board isn’t ready to turn the page following a tumultuous nine month budget dispute with top brass at city hall.
The board passed a motion at its meeting Thursday that calls for an investigation into the city’s handling of the dispute.
Budget chair Paul Paolatto said he wants an explanation as to why eight emails he sent back in February to City Manager Art Zuidema’s office proposing a compromise resolution were never passed on to city council.
Paolatto said the City Manager’s Office “contributed greatly” to frustration during the negotiations.
When asked by board member Michael Deeb why he was putting forward a motion calling for an investigation, Paolatto said his reputation was at stake.
Paolatto says they had a “difficult time” with Art Zuidema’s office.
Had eight emails to office with no response.
— Craig Needles (@NeedlesOnNews) November 10, 2016
The two sides reached a $2.7 million settlement earlier this week, averting a hearing before the Ontario Civilian Police Commission on Monday. The money will go towards hiring six new officers, but because it’s less than the $4.1 million police were seeking, the new hires won’t be made until 2017.
Mayor Matt Brown sits on the Police Services Board and addressed reporters after Thursday’s meeting. Brown says he was made aware of an offer, but wasn’t willing to back the proposal on behalf of the board.
“This is not something I was willing to champion,” said Brown. “This is something that I felt the board needed to bring forward in an open session and allow council to decide whether they wanted to support it or not.”
During the meeting, Paolatto also revealed that the total legal bill for the board during this process was $70,000.
He also informed the board that he intends to step down as budget chair next March.