We’re just a couple of weeks away from fall, but judging by the first week of September, summer isn’t willing to go without a fight.
A heat warning remains in place and the AM980 Gerrie Electric Storm Centre is keeping an eye on the skies after a severe thunderstorm watch was issued Wednesday afternoon. Environment Canada is forecasting a 60% chance of rain or thunderstorms Wednesday evening, with a 40% chance of rain on tap Thursday as the daily highs drop out of the low-30s.
Meteorologist Geoff Coulson says with this transition from the high heat and humidity to cooler conditions there’s a possibility some of these storms could become severe and produce lots of rain in a short amount time with damaging gusts of wind.
Tune into AM980 for live traffic and weather updates every 10 minutes during your morning and afternoon drive at :02, :12, :22, :32, :42, :52.
A previous high temperature record of 31.7 degrees set back in 2002 was nearly broken. The temperature at the London International Airport was recorded to hit 31.6 degrees mid-afternoon but quickly fell back to 30.4 degrees.
Coulson says this September heat is just the continuation of a hot August.
“It was one of the warmest months of August we’ve seen in a number of years. The trend that the models are indicating, and certainly with the temperatures we’ve already experienced so far this month, we are expecting September to also be somewhat warmer than normal.”
Looking past September, Coulson expects a warmer-than-normal fall overall.
“Temperatures for both October and November are expected to be a little bit warmer than normal, so the fall itself may not be too bad overall, but (it’s) a little too early to say, I think, what exactly the winter is going to be like,” he explains.
“This is something we’ve had a lot of questions about, people thinking that we’re somehow going to have to pay for the summer we’ve had because it’s been so warm, but we do know last winter was very much influenced by a very strong El Niño event, there was much warmer than normal waters in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of South America that gave us a very mild winter and more rain than snow last year, so I think this winter will be more of a traditional winter.”
With files from Matthew Trevithick.