City Councillors and representatives from the London Police Service will try to hash out a deal on the department’s budget before entering into hearings in the fall.
Councillors voted last month to meet with Police Chief John Pare and the budget boss for the Police Board Paul Paolatto.
During this spring’s budget talks, the City chopped $4 million out of the four-year funding request from the London Police Services Board, meaning the service could hire seven new officers instead of the 13 it wanted.
The Board then filed an appeal with the Ontario Civilian Police Commission, and if the two sides can’t reach an agreement, hearings will begin in November.
Pare and Paolatto are expected to present a revamped version of the original budget request that aims to find a middle ground, asking for around half of the $4 million council declined.
“I’m interested to see what the Police Services Board says when they come forward at our meeting,” said Councillor Jesse Helmer
“But, if all of the information is the same, I’m not sure that anyone who on council who voted for the budget allocation that we gave to the police is going to change their mind in the absence of new information.”
Monday’s meeting of the Strategic Priorities and Policy Committee is set to start at 4 p.m.
With files from Jess Brady.