AM980 listeners have voted the affair between Mayor Matt Brown and councillor Maureen Cassidy as the top story of 2016.
For the month of December AM980 listeners have been voting online in our web poll.
The affair between Brown and Cassidy, which made headlines nationally in June, led to Cassidy’s decision to resign as Deputy Mayor and both Brown and Cassidy to take a leave of absence from city hall, was the clear winner.
38% chose it as 2016’s top story, with 24% of Londoners choosing the takedown of terror suspect Aaron Driver in August as the second biggest story.
While Brown’s leave of absence lasted only one week, Cassidy didn’t return until late August.
Since she resigned as deputy mayor, city council hasn’t replaced her, deciding instead to continue with Paul Hubert as Brown’s only deputy.
In June, city council voted unanimously to reprimand them both for their actions during the affair.
A quarter of those who participated in the informal online poll chose the RCMP takedown of Driver as the second biggest story of the year. He was killed in August after an explosive detonated while he was in the back seat of a cab in Strathroy that he’d ordered to drive him to downtown London.
Driver detonated an improvised explosive device after the taxi was blocked in by the RCMP at his home in Strathroy. In November, a review found that the use of lethal force by local police agencies to neutralize Driver was justified. The review was conducted by the OPP, Strathroy-Caradoc Police Service, the Crown and the Ministry of the Attorney General Office.
The eight murder charges laid against Elizabeth Wettlaufer in the deaths of nursing home residents in London and Woodstock rounded out the top three in the poll. Wettlaufer, a 49-year-old registered nurse from Woodstock, was charged back in late October.
She is charged with eight counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths which occurred between 2007 and 2014. Earlier in December Wettlaufer’s case was put over until the New Year.
10% of those who participated in the AM980 poll chose the Wettlaufer story.
The Top 10 List:
1. Mayor Matt Brown, former Deputy Mayor Maureen Cassidy admit to having an affair (38%)
2. Terror suspect Aaron Driver killed by RCMP in Strathroy (24%)
3. Former nurse Elizabeth Wettlaufer accused of killing 8 seniors (10%)
4. London Knights capture OHL, Memorial Cup titles (10%)
5. Mother charged after baby found in dumpster (7%)
6. Local athletes shine at the Summer Olympics in Rio (6%)
7. Two London women killed just days apart in separate impaired driving crashes (2%)
8. Fire destroys Hyde Park plaza (2%)
9. City Council punches ticket for full bus rapid transit (1%)
10. London Professional Firefighters historic contract dispute with City administration (0%)