The London Fire Department is reminding residents about the importance of cooking safety after a grease fire in the city’s northeast Thursday night.
Emergency crews were called to a unit at 64 Arbour Glen Crescent at around 5:50 p.m. to a report of a kitchen fire. Flames spread up from the stove to the kitchen cupboards, and smoke spread throughout the house.
Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, and no one was injured inside the home. Officials say one fire fighter injured their finger and was assessed in hospital.
Damage from the blaze is pegged at $25,000.
Officials say this incident serves as a reminder to Londoners how important it is to not become distracted while cooking.
“Cooking fires are very prevalent in the city of London, and it’s usually a result of unattended cooking,” said District Chief Kevin Dash.
“People put something on the stove, and they get distracted, they leave the room, and then they forget they had something on the stove.”
Dash says it’s important not to use water if grease or oil starts on fire, as that can make the problem even worse. He recommends turning off the stove or oven, and placing a lid over the burning pot to extinguish the blaze. In case of emergency, always call 911 for assistance.