An explosion at a Hamilton Road address early Monday that sent one person to hospital with serious burns was the result of a botched attempt to produce cannabis resin in a bathroom using butane extraction, London Police said Tuesday.
Police, Fire, and EMS responded to the address, just west of William Street, around 1 a.m. following reports of an explosion.
At the scene, officers found a 27-year-old male with serious burns to the front of his body. The male was transported to London Health Sciences Centre where he remained Tuesday afternoon in serious condition, police said.
Two others in the residence, a 25-year-old woman and an infant, were not injured in the incident.
After obtaining a search warrant, police seized 762 grams of marijuana shake, and 122 grams of marijuana bud from the residence, valued at $85 and $1,220, respectively.
Police say both the 27-year-old male and 25-year-old female have been jointly charged with:
- Possession of Schedule II substance (marijuana) (CDSA 4(1))
- Production of Schedule II substance (resin) (CDSA 7(1))
- Occupant injuring building (CC 441)
- Arson by negligence (CC 436)
Police say the blast caused about $10,000 in damage to the building.
“The public should be aware that this activity is very dangerous to not only yourself but everyone around you,” police said in a media release.