The budget battle between the London Police Services Board and the City of London will pick up again in November.
On Tuesday morning, the Ontario Civilian Police Commission announced a hearing date of Monday, November 14th to go over the case. The hearing will begin at 10 a.m. in Committee Room #5 at City Hall.
The London Police Services Board filed an appeal with the OCPC back on April 21st of this year after City Council chopped $4 million from its four-year budget request. The loss of funds meant the service would only be able to hire seven new officers instead of the 13 it hoped to add to its ranks.
Late last month, London Police Chief John Pare and London Police Services Board Budget Chair Paul Paolatto offered up a compromise, suggesting City Council provide $1.8 million over the next three years, while the LPSB would use savings to cover the remaining $2.2 million.
City Council voted unanimously to turn down the proposal after spending 90 minutes behind closed doors, leading the way for the OCPC hearing to begin.
The OCPC says should the budget issue remain unresolved after the first hearing on November 14th, the proceedings will continue through to Friday, November 18th.
The OCPC says the hearing will be open to the public, but it won’t be televised or recorded, other than by a court reporter.
It’s believed the London Police Services Board is the first police department in Ontario to launch an OCPC application of this kind since a successful appeal by the Guelph Police Service in 1999.