Transportation authorities in Toronto confirm they were notified on Wednesday morning about the ongoing terrorism investigation in Strathroy where a suspect, identified as Aaron Driver, was later killed during a confrontation with RCMP officers.
Both the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) and Metrolinx say they were “made aware of a terror threat investigation” but had no specifics attached to it.
“As a precaution, we issued a ‘see something, say something’ vigilance notice to all TTC staff as we do after incidents that occur around the world or if advised of threats closer to home,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross in an e-mail.
Transit officials would not specifically confirm if a particular area of Toronto’s transportation network was targeted.
The RCMP said Wednesday it was investigating after receiving “credible information” of a potential terrorist threat to Canada.
“A suspect was identified and the proper course of action has been taken to ensure that there is no danger to the public’s safety,” RCMP said in a statement.
Driver, in his mid-20’s and originally from Winnipeg, had been under a court order since February to not associate with any terrorist organization, including the Islamic State group.
According to reports, the suspect allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing mission in a public area but was killed in a police operation.
A body was later seen being brought out on a stretcher by authorities from a home in Strathroy.
Residents in the southwestern Ontario community were asked to stay in their homes Wednesday afternoon which was cordoned off as local, provincial and federal law enforcement attended the scene.
Authorities have released very little information on the investigation and are expected to provide further details on Thursday.