The death toll following a triple suicide bombing and gun attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport has risen from 36 to 41, according to officials.
A trio of armed attackers arrived to the international airport Tuesday night in a taxi and blew themselves up after opening fire.
The Istanbul governor’s office says among the 41 dead include 13 foreigners, three of which have dual-nationals. Authorities also said more than 230 were wounded.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has said all initial indications suggest the Islamic State is responsible for the attack.
Reports remain conflicting on where exactly at the terminal the attackers detonated their explosives.
A Turkish official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government protocol, previously said none of the attackers managed to get past security checks at the terminal’s entrance. Instead two explosives were blasted at the international arrivals terminal while the third was in the parking lot.
Meanwhile, Turkish newspaper, HaberTurk, reported that one attacker blew himself up outside the airport’s terminal and two others opened fire near the X-ray machines.
Another report said one attacker was shot while running amid fleeing passengers, and then detonated his explosives at the exit. The third attacker then blew himself up after being shot by police up one level to the international departures terminal.
Some flights have now resumed at the airport after about one-third of scheduled flights were cancelled and a host of others delayed.
According to Airports Council International, Istanbul’s Ataturk airport is one of the fastest-growing airports in the world. Just last year it was found to be the 11th busiest airport in the world as it hosted a total of 61.8 million passengers.
With files from Rana Aladdin