A debate over how many garbage bags you’re allowed to set out for pick up on garbage day will soon go to a public forum.
A public participation meeting will be held Jun. 8 to discuss possible changes to the current four bag limit.
City staff are looking to trash that, and lower it to three.
Jay Stanford, Director of Environmental, Fleet and Waste Services says a report shows that 90 per cent of Londoners are already putting out three containers or less.
“What we’re hearing from Londoners is that they do like that opportunity to have that extra container, although the research suggests that many are at three containers or lower. In fact, on average, Londoners put out about two containers per week.”
Staff also has a few recommendations for Londoners who want to put out more than three bags some weeks.
Residents could purchase tags and attach them to the bags if they have excess.
Currently, there are also two “exemption weeks” where Londoners can put out more than four containers. A recommendation is to double that to four weeks.
An online poll shows that about 60 per cent of residents want to keep the container limit at four, while the other 40 per cent would like to see it changed.
The Civic Works Committee will take the recommendation to full council. If it is approved there, Stanford says a new garbage plan could be in place by this fall or early 2017.