A pair of Londoners are being honoured for their bravery after helping to save a family of five from a house fire last month.
The men will receive “Citizen Involvement Awards” at the downtown fire station Monday afternoon for rescuing the Demelo family (pictured) from their burning apartment on Duke Street.
Fire officials haven’t been able to figure out the cause of the blaze that started outside of the building on the morning of April 30th.
Neighbours Adam Mortezof and Doug O’Loughlin were outside chatting when they saw smoke coming from the home and called 9-1-1.
Ten-year-old Danny Demelo noticed the smoke while he was watching cartoons and woke the rest of his family up, but flames were blocking their main exit by the time they were mobilized.
The family followed the sound of Mortezof and O’Loughlin yelling and banging on a large window at the front of the apartment.
One by one, the neighbours pulled each member of the Demelo family out of the building which filled with thick black smoke moments after they got out.
Firefighters arrived on scene soon after, and credit O’Loughlin and Mortezof for saving the family’s lives. They believe the duo showed good judgement by not trying to enter the building during the rescue effort.
Unfortunately, a dog living in the upstairs apartment died. Their owner was not home at the time.
O’Loughlin and Mortezof will receive the special awards from Chief John Kobarda and Deputy Fire Chief Brian McLaughlin for their “exceptional efforts to preserve life” at 1:30p.m. Monday afternoon at Fire Station No. 1 at Horton and Colbourne Streets.
Fire officials described damage to the home as extensive, and since the family did not have insurance a friend has started a Go Fund Me campaign on their behalf.