A Canadian was reportedly among the dead after Islamic State militants launched a gun and bomb assault on Indonesia’s capital on Thursday.
The attackers set off explosions at a Starbucks cafe in a busy shopping area of Jakarta, Indonesia’s capital.
The Reuters news agency, citing an unidentified police source, said the Canadian and a police officer were killed in the attack. Five attackers were also killed, bringing the death toll to seven. Seventeen people, including a Dutch man, were wounded.
Indonesian news outlet Metro TV News is also reporting a Canadian was killed, citing a senior police officer saying the Canadian killed was a man.
Global Affairs Canada hasn’t confirmed the report that a Canadian was killed in Thursday’s attack.
Indonesian Police said two of the militants were taken alive.
“Islamic State fighters carried out an armed attack this morning targeting foreign nationals and the security forces charged with protecting them in the Indonesian capital,” Aamaaq news agency, which is allied to the group, said on its Telegram channel.
It took security forces about three hours to end the siege, which is the first attack on the Muslim-majority country by ISIS.
Jakarta’s police chief told reporters: “ISIS is behind this attack definitely,” using a common acronym for Islamic State, Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian militant, has been identified as the man responsible for the assault.
The attack played out live on television, it included a gun fight in a movie theatre and at least six explosions on the streets of Jakarta. After the siege was over, a body still lay on the street, a shoe nearby among the debris.
The country had been on edge for weeks over the threat posed by Islamist militants. Counter-terrorism police had rounded up about 20 people with suspected links to Islamic State, whose battle lines in Syria and Iraq have included nationals from several Asian countries.
While Indonesia has seen attacks by Islamist militants before, this was the first by co-ordinated assault by a team of suicide bombers and gunmen.
The last major militant attacks in Jakarta were in July 2009, with bombs at the JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton hotels.